Bulletproof Dental Practice Podcast Episode 7
Host: Dr. Peter Boulden
Guest: Rob Bay
President, Dental Intel
- Dental Intel is a cloud based software which can be used as a practice management and financial management system.
- Dentists are busy with their practice so they have no time to pore over the data presented. So Dental Intelligence learned to take the data and turn it into reports that dentists can easily understand. They provided action items on the things dentists can do in order to improve.
- Causation data is understanding what is causing the managerial data being measured.
- The next and deeper level of data is called action items. It tells you what you need to do with the data you have. It tells dentists specific things that needs to be done in a specific time to specific patients.
- Dental Intel takes the data and processes it into actionable items that can be assigned to other people – not necessarily the dentist himself.
- Caring about your patients and understanding the numbers should not be mutually exclusive. They can blend together and go hand-in-hand.
- Dental Intel measures things that allows dentists to provide exceptional care for their patients.
- Patients, on average are only accepting 25% of what is being presented to them. Usually, this has to do more about the practice and the systems than the patients.
- Dental Intel can help by measuring this data in order to increase cognizance of the issue. This leads to improving the issue.
- Understanding data increases awareness of what your practice is doing right and wrong.
- Do not focus on the negative but rather view them as opportunities within your practice.
- It is not an emotional decision, it’s a binary decision. It’s just data.
- Utilizing data and information to make decision can make you a better business owner and help you provide better care to your patients.
- Ask why the numbers are where they are even if the numbers are good. You want to replicate the good thing that is being done.
- Dental Intel, or a data analyst, can help a dentist become accountable with the data being measured.
- Dental Intel provides correction but with recommendation. They make it optimistic.
- Dental Intel Rule: Find 3 good things (celebrations) before giving a helpful observation (correction). Highlight areas of success and build up on them instead of focusing on the terrible things someone, who was never measured before, is doing. Let the number do the talking instead of pushing down a person.
- Dental Intel Goal: Help individual dentists become successful in the midst of corporate dentistry boom.
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
Glip – by Ring Central
“In measuring and tracking things, you can modify things.” Rob Bay
“Using data and information to figure out how systems can be improved is a replicable skill.” Rob Bay
“There’s nothing more powerful than having everyone in your practice do one little thing everyday to bring in more production.” Rob Bay
“If you don’t know your numbers, you don’t know your business. If you don’t know your business, you’re putting everyone at risk.” – Dr. Peter Boulden
“When performance is measured, performance improves. When performance is measured and reported back, the rate of improvement accelerates. – Thomas Monson.” – Rob Bay
“It’s not emotion, it’s just a binary decision about changing x to get to y. It’s just data.” – Dr. Peter Boulden