Q&A with Temple University D3 Mastermind Group
Text ‘bulletproof’ to 345345 to stay in the know about our upcoming book release and the Bulletproof Summit on October 12-13th 2018 in Atlanta!
Bulletproof Dental Practice Podcast Episode 79
Hosts: Dr. Peter Boulden & Dr. Craig Spodak
Guests: Tyler Yim and other students from Temple University
- What is the most valuable resource you use when you were learning how to run a successful business and still use today?
- YouTube is a great learning source.
- Don’t be afraid to take risks. Failure is a great way to learn.
- Look to textbooks for dental education and model successful retail businesses for business education.
- Podcasts are another great resource.
- Look for CE outside the realm of dentistry.
- Did you utilize coaches and consultants as you were growing?
- Craig is a huge Tony Robbins fan. Suggests looking outside of dentistry.
- Pete and Craig share a coach to hold each other accountable.
- You never want to get to the point where you think you’ve figured it out and don’t have to learn anymore.
- Look for a coach outside of dentistry, more in business.
- Knowing what you know now about DSO’s, how would you change your business model?
- There is a lot of runway for awesome, quality practices. Whatever model you ultimately choose just be sure you shoot to be the BEST you can be.
- Consumers are expecting a lot. It’s very hard to do alone and solo as a new dentist. There’s safety in numbers.
- The future for dental specialty is concerning, particularly because of disruption from technology. The future belongs to the super GP.
- It’ll be easier to have larger offices in a wider geographic area.
- What do you recommend to new grads as far as overcoming obstacles?
- Work for someone for a couple years instead of starting a practice right away. Very few licensed dentists are ready to go right out and kill it on their own.
- GPR’s are valuable.
- What would be the most ideal pathway for getting the largest scope and the most experience at the fastest amount of time?
- Surgical GPR’s are a good investment.
- Immerse yourself as much as possible in technology.
- Learn all you can about occlusion, as it’s the basis for everything.
- Invest in CE.
- Study public speaking and body language.
- To be awesome you have to have clinical excellence and good rapport with patients.
- How does the future of dentistry look with having associates as employees vs offering ownership?
- Most corporations do not care if you work there for 2 years and then take off. They plan that into their business model. Look for long term alignment and ownership.
- The ownership mentality is something you must have. Do not join a practice if you’re not looking to be there long term.
- Focus on having one great practice vs. a lot of mediocre ones. Don’t scale too quickly.
- Have you experimented with influencer marketing on social media like Instagram?
- Influencer marketing is the most underpriced attention out there.
- It’s hard to utilize because you may not know how to source those influences in your community.
- Would you start an Instagram page while in school? Would you buy a domain name for SEO purposes?
- Yes, develop your own brand RIGHT NOW. Buy the domain but don’t try to start building SEO currency. Develop yourself as dentist first, then when practice is open work on promoting your brand.
- Start a dental relevant Facebook page and dental relevant Instagram page.
- How do you pitch to specialists? How do you get them to work for you?
- You can’t build anything part-time. Figure out how to work together to keep them full-time at your practice.
- Are there are certain specialties that will be protected against consolidation and/or corporate takeover?
- Whoever owns the patient owns the life cycle of the money. It’ll be very hard as a specialist to own that patient.
- The price disparity between general UCR and specialist UCR will collapse.
- Who do you look to – outside of dentistry – for marketing ideas?
- Storytelling marketing is key.
- Inspiration can come from anywhere. Take cues from other retail businesses; Starbucks, Apple, etc.
Good to Great by Jim Collins
Delivering Happiness by Jim Hsieh
Built to Sell by John Warrillow
The Thank You Economy by Gary Vaynerchuk
Pre-Suasion by Robert Cialdini
The speed of your mistakes dictates the speed of your learning. – Dr. Craig Spodak
Your speed of innovation is going to be equal to the speed of your success. – Dr. Craig Spodak
The cheapest marketing strategy ever… CARE. – Gary V
Peer pressure makes everybody better. – Dr. Craig Spodak
If you don’t make it easy for patients to do business with you, someone else will. – Dr. Craig Spodak
Unlocking Total Freedom, Redefining the Playing Field, Building for the Future and Embracing Opportunities
, May 31, 2023
Practice Perspectives: Catching Up, Buying In, and Expanding Out
, April 12, 2023
Efficient Insurance Verification with Dr. Derek Giddon
, March 29, 2023
Talking Nachos with Dr. Paul Goodman
, March 22, 2023
Our Success Gets People Healthy
, March 17, 2023
The Roadmap to Financial Success with Randy Smith
, March 15, 2023
, March 8, 2023
Dr. Startup PART 2 with Dr. Trey Miller
, March 1, 2023
To Sell or NOT to Sell PLUS Mastermind Ski Retreat Recap
, February 22, 2023
2023:Predicting Losers and Winners in the Dental Industry, PART 2
, February 3, 2023
2023: Predicting Losers and Winners in the Dental Industry, PART 1
, February 1, 2023
Setting Your Marketing Budget in a Potential Recession
, January 25, 2023
The Problem is Really YOU with Dr. Paul Etchison
, January 18, 2023
Look at These 3 Stats if You’re Thinking of Going Out of Network with Teresa Duncan
, January 11, 2023
MLR Passed Legislation, Recession Proofing, the Culture Debate Continues
, January 4, 2023
The Doctor-Hygienist Disconnect: Communication, Compensation, Values with Brittany Simon of Bulletproof Hygiene
, December 28, 2022
Ai: Dall-E, ChatGPT – This changes EVERYTHING!
, December 16, 2022
Holiday Bonuses, Cryptocurrency, ERC, and Summit
, December 14, 2022
Generational Dentistry with Dr. Myles Spodak
, December 7, 2022
Knowing What You Don’t Want with Judy Kay Mausolf of Culture Camp and Erika Pusillo
, November 30, 2022
, November 23, 2022
Blackrock, Smile Direct Bankrupt, Interest Rates to Make Decisions
, November 2, 2022
Cabo This Week, Immersion Learning, Biggest Breakthroughs, Your Personal KPI is Net Worth
, November 2, 2022
Natural Disasters, Getting Sweatyback Over Ideal Case Acceptance, and Removing Your Own Roadblocks with Dr. Rob Ritter and Dr. Chris Ramsey
, October 19, 2022
Silver Linings of an Upcoming Recession
, October 12, 2022
Surviving “SUCKtember” with Dr. Dwight Peccora and Dr. Trey Tippit
, October 5, 2022
Reduce the Friction TO GET PAID with Dr. Dwight Peccora
, June 29, 2022
FINANCIAL PLANNING – Winter is Coming
, June 8, 2022
Creative Content Ideation with Dr. Nick Ciardiello
, June 8, 2022
Rants and Rambles: Real Estate, Raccoons, Being Happy
, May 25, 2022
, May 18, 2022
, May 14, 2022
The Getting is in the Giving with Dr. Mark Costes
, April 20, 2022
FULFILLMENT – Peak Performance – Brain Training and Longevity
, April 15, 2022
FULFILLMENT: Peak Performance – Testing
, April 14, 2022
FULFILLMENT: Peak Performance – Diet and Exercise
, April 13, 2022
, March 30, 2022
Expanding your Identity as an Intrapreneur with Dr. Lisel Balk
, March 16, 2022
Bulletproof Vs. Shared Practices: Round 1
, February 21, 2022
Leadership Development with Brittany Simon of Bulletproof Hygiene
, February 16, 2022
Crafting Your Practice with Dave Monahan of Kleer
, February 9, 2022
Inputs Predict Your Outputs – CRUSH THIS YEAR
, January 12, 2022
, December 22, 2021
How it Started, How it’s Going
, December 10, 2021
All things Real Estate – Part 2
, November 24, 2021
All Things Real Estate – Part 1
, November 17, 2021
Every Self Help Book EVER Boiled Down to 11 Simple Steps
, November 10, 2021
, November 3, 2021
, October 21, 2021
Entrepreneur vs Solopreneur vs Associateprenuer
, October 13, 2021
Recruiting Top Talent with Chris Tuff
, October 6, 2021
4 Freedoms: Time, Money, Purpose, Relationships with Chris Tuff
, September 29, 2021
Business is not Productivity, Productivity is not Profitability with Chris Salierno
, September 22, 2021
Fortune Rewards the Bold with Dr. Dwight Peccora
, September 15, 2021
Big Case Presentation – Boulden’s Partners Part 2
, September 8, 2021
Big Case Presentation – Boulden’s Partners Part 1
, September 2, 2021
Goal Setting to Take Your Practice to the NEXT LEVEL with Chris Tuff
, August 26, 2021
Paying Off Student Loans & Arbitrage
, August 25, 2021
, July 28, 2021
, June 16, 2021
, June 9, 2021
Thinking Like an Owner with Dr. Jenny “Yogi Dentist” Perna
, May 19, 2021
The Power of In-Person with Chris Tuff
, May 12, 2021
Building on Stone with Dr. Trey Miller
, May 5, 2021
Culture Eats Strategy for Breakfast with Chris Tuff
, April 28, 2021
Using Analytics to Optimize Inbound Calls
, April 14, 2021
Post Corona : From Crisis to Opportunity
, March 31, 2021
, March 17, 2021
Comfort Zone & Lifestyle Creep
, February 17, 2021
, February 10, 2021
, February 3, 2021
Launching Bulletproof Hygiene with Brittany Simon & Charissa Wood
, January 27, 2021
The One Clinical Skill You Should MASTER
, January 13, 2021
State of the Economy, INFLATION, and Rants
, January 6, 2021
Patient EASE Over Customer Service
, December 30, 2020
Patient Retention is the Key to Growth
, December 23, 2020
, December 9, 2020
The Future is Brighter Than You Think with Peter Mallouk
, December 3, 2020
, November 27, 2020
Unlock Your Practice’s Secret Weapon
, November 19, 2020
The Easy Way Was Actually the Hard Way
, November 12, 2020
Dr. Boulden & Dr. Spodak on Hiring
, November 5, 2020
Discovering Your Inward Path with Sage Robbins
, October 28, 2020
, October 22, 2020
Rundle in Dentistry? with Scott Galloway
, October 9, 2020
Balance is a Myth, Don’t Be Fooled
, October 1, 2020
It’s Never Too Late To Change Directions: Life and Dentistry
, September 24, 2020
Team Compensation Negotiations
, September 17, 2020
, September 9, 2020
Local Dental SEO Mastery with Darren Shaw
, September 3, 2020
, August 27, 2020
Be Different with Mike Michalowicz
, August 20, 2020
, July 16, 2020
, July 10, 2020
Dr. Boulden on TIME MANAGEMENT
, July 6, 2020
, July 2, 2020
3 Biggest Bottlenecks of an Entrepreneurial Dentist: PART 2 with Perrin DesPortes of TUSK Partners
, June 25, 2020
3 Biggest Bottlenecks of Being an Entrepreneurial Dentist: Part 1 with Perrin DesPortes
, June 18, 2020
, June 2, 2020
, May 21, 2020
P&L is Your Tool to Freedom with Dr. Tim McNamara
, May 14, 2020
, May 4, 2020
Multiple Websites for Multiple Offices & Stock Photos
, April 30, 2020
5 Recommended Bulletproof Books
, April 27, 2020
International Man of Mystery, Dr. Simon Chard
, April 23, 2020
Nathan French is Attention Driven
, April 16, 2020
, April 7, 2020
, March 27, 2020
Meaning Over Money with Dr. Clifton Cameron
, March 23, 2020
, March 19, 2020
, March 3, 2020
, February 20, 2020
Hygienists Are the Real MVP’s of Dentistry
, February 6, 2020
Living, Learning, & Leadership with Dental Practice Heroes
, February 3, 2020
Straight Talk About DSO Transactions with Brannon Moncrief
, January 30, 2020
The ‘D’ Word – Why Debt Isn’t Always Bad
, January 23, 2020
, January 9, 2020
, January 2, 2020
Leadership with Dr. Jenny Perna
, December 19, 2019
Traveling Dentistry with Dr. Dustin Pfundheller
, December 12, 2019
Leaning In: A Fireside Chat with Marc Hodulich
, November 21, 2019
Working For A “Why” with Ericka Pierce
, November 14, 2019
Dental Tech with Dr. Aaron DeForest
, November 7, 2019
The Entrepreneur’s Mentor Patrick Bet-David
, October 3, 2019
, September 19, 2019
Navigating Dental Economics, Strategies for Thriving in a Recession, Cyberhacks and Unpaid Associates